Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My COUPON beginning....

It all happened when I saw a blog about couponing. I got a 3 ring binder, watched youtube videos and followed multiple (online) people's advice. In order to "coupon", I would need a paper...I found an ad in my mailbox for 20$ for 1 year of a subscription. This was a tremendous deal, so I signed up right away. I tried, but it was hard. I tried to save coupons of only the things I KNEW we would buy. I didn't save the name brand coupons for expensive items, becuase, well they ALWAYS cost too much. It was just too much for me...I didn't know where to start with what I had in my area.
Then an ad for the "Grocery Guru" appeared in the newspaper. I had heard of him before. He advertises that with a newspaper subscription, you may be able to reduce the amount you spend in groceries by 50, 60, even 70%! I was skeptical because I just get skeptical. I looked into going to his next class...it was 10$. What's 10$ if he can teach me to save hundreds, right? So I signed up and went on his shop. Most of the things he had us buy (it wasn't really a class, you just walked behind him in a line putting whatever he told you to in your cart) were NAME BRAND. I got 4 bottles of Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner for FREE. As well as some deodorants and toothpaste. AWESOME! But that was a good week. It's not always like that. That trip, I did save roughly 65% on my grocery bill, only spending about 40$ and getting our with a lot. However, a lot of it was cereal. For a person who doesn't always eat breakfast in the AM, this was more than a lot. Then at the end of the shop, he said we needed two papers per week to do the same type of shop...I only have one. CRAP! And they wanted 2$ a week to get me another subscription. We decided (Joe and I) that if I saved enough it would be worth it. So we were going to see how it went for the whole month before finalizing our decision. He also lugged out this SUPERbinder at the end of the shop and told me how awesome it was. And it was...except 1)well, it has a speaker so you can download his podcast and he goes through the store telling you what to get(because you can't always go WITH him)...BUT, he hasn't updated his podcast in over a year. CRUD. Because of the speaker system within the binder it is BIG and when I go through the store looking through this binder and referring to it on occassion(looking for coupons)...people stare. DOUBLE CRUD. There went 35$ :(....I could have made my own talking binder. Positive side :) Now I can download my music and rock with GLEE as I shop.
Then I found that his weekly meal plans were kindof...monotonous and he doesn't always post the same things on his website as he tells people at the store. I know this because his office is next to my grocery store, so that is where he shops. I have seen him about 3 EXTRA times now and I notice, because I still look at his site to see what deals he is finding, that he tells the people shopping with him better deals than what he has on his site. How does that help him? Oh well, maybe he just found extra coupons to share with those ladies.

So, this was a good beginning. It made me realize what to look for, to keep ALL my coupons and generally gave me more info on the subject.

Then came the next step.....that took me to the next level.........

No comments:

Post a Comment